Ed’s note: This post was written by Rachel Smith of Rachel’s List.
The end of the year is looming and chances are those creative juices are running dry. All you can think about is closing your laptop and beating the kids to the last of the Advent Calendar chocolate, amirite? But before you do, there’s one little thing to write. Your out-of-office message.
You could make it quick, boring and blah like last year, or you could take some inspiration from these memorable missives, guaranteed to give your recipient a chuckle. Granted, most are completely bonkers, but they might just get you into the right frame of mind to craft something decent.
1. The inbox disappearing act is no joke. However, you could end on a joke if you want.
2. Brevity is the gift that keeps on giving.
3. Link to a gif. Everyone loves a gif.
4. Be honest like Harry. Sometimes camping with the family IS a curse. Oh, and include ways for your recipient to get help in your absence.
5. How about giving your recipient something to do, like a fun Christmas quiz? (Spotted on Hubspot.)
6. Make it a messed up game.
7. Show just how social-media savvy you really are, with a out-of-office message that utilises a Twitter hashtag.
8. You could always blame technology for not replying, like Senior Director of Solutions Marketing Abner Germanow (spotted on New Relic):
9. Or just let the robot write it. Especially if he/she has a sense of humour.
10. We all know one of ‘these’ people
Seen a great out-of-office message on your travels? Feel free to share in the comments!