Lisa Messenger: 8 Books I’m Reading in 2017 and Why

by

How to know someone? Look at what they are reading.

summer-reading-I love books. They pile up around my home – and don’t get me started on the office! My absolute favourite time of year to read is over the Christmas/New Year summer break. It’s basically a beach and book fest for me as I revive my body and soul and charge up the mind with fresh ideas, random thoughts, relatable wisdom and curious concepts that help set me up for another big year.

I’m a massive believer in continuous learning across all areas of life, so you’ll notice my book list is varied and spans decades – I am happy to go back in time for wisdom while simultaneously grabbing the latest thing to digest. So, this is what I have piled up ready to go:

lisa_books_to_bookmark

Shoe Dog: A Memoir By The Creator of Nike by Phil Knight

In this candid and riveting memoir, for the first time ever Nike founder and board chairman Phil Knight shares the inside story of the company’s early days as an intrepid start-up and its evolution into one of the world’s most iconic, game-changing and profitable brands. This is on the top of my list because I am always fascinated by the story behind the story and any biographies or autobiographies that I can reverse-engineer and learn from always have my attention!

To Pixar and Beyond: My Unlikely Journey With Steve Jobs To Make Entertainment History by Lawrence Levy

We’ve done quite a lot with Pixar over the past few years and in the ilk of Shoe Dog, I love anything autobiographical which talks about how a company came to be. If you’d already read this one, then I highly recommend Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of Spacex and Tesla is Shaping Our Future by Ashlee Vance, The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and The Age of Amazon by Brad Stone, Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald’s by Ray Kroc or Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson, which I devoured!

Key Performance Indicators (KPI): The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs To Know by Bernard Marr

Sounds dry I know, but you need a mix in your knowledge bank and right now, Collective Hub is growing rapidly with lots of business verticals and staff all over the world. So, we need to get smart about how we operate and how our staff not only perform, but also how we settle on agreed outcomes so everyone wins. I want to take this baby forward and on target in the most efficient, effective and rewarding way – from net profit margin to customer satisfaction to brand equity, Six Sigma and employee engagement. So, Bernard, I’m coming for you, iced coffee in hand.

Defiant: A Broken Body Is Not A Broken Person by Janine Shepard

This book has just been released and Janine kindly sent me a copy. But I’m not just reading it because she is a friend – she has a powerful story of resilience and overcoming adversity, having faced some of life’s biggest challenges head on. Janine was an elite ski racer whose bid to represent Australia in the Olympics was cut short by a tragic accident. She learnt to walk again, has become a pilot, gone through a divorce, even at one point suffering financial ruin which included losing her home. And yet here she is smiling and openly sharing her journey with the world. We need these kinds of stories in our lives to inspire and challenge us.

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

I can’t actually believe I haven’t yet read this novel yet, but I’m going to give it a stab over the summer. Among many other things, this book, released in 2003, was described by the Sunday Times as “a publishing phenomenon”. I can’t wait to digest its pages, based on the life of the author, Gregory David Roberts, who was sentenced to 19 years imprisonment in 1987 for a series of robberies he conducted while addicted to heroin, only to escape in broad daylight and cross continents to recreate a life in India. As they say, it can be read as a thriller or a meditation on the nature of good and evil. I’m going with both.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

I have read this before but am going to revisit it. I love the simplicity and profound impact of its approach. I’m fascinated by how we show and receive love – the words of affirmation, acts of service, affection, quality time (that’s me in a nutshell) and gifts (my least favourite, so don’t worry about the birthday presents… ha!).

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A Singer

I actually read this while on a recent meditation trip to India, but plan to read it again just a few months later. I have to. It’s one of the most simple, yet powerful spiritual books of my lifetime.

The Seeker’s Guide: Making Your Life A Spiritual Adventure by Elizabeth Lesser

“When we slow down, quiet the mind, and allow ourselves to feel hungry for something that we do not understand, we are dipping into the abundant well of spiritual longing.” Absolutely, that’s the starting point for growth and my starting point for 2017.

What are you reading? List your comments below for the entire Collective Hub community and we’ll be sure to give them to our Ed, Lisa Messenger, for you too.

Rebecca Casey-Ryan

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
Written by Jean Dominique Bauby;
It’s a memoir of his life both before and after he had a stroke which resulted in him having ‘locked-in syndrome”

Kate

OMG Shantaram is that ONE book that i recommend when people ask for a recommendation – ‘unputdownable!!!’. Enjoy x

Sophie

Looking forward to Mandela’s Way – Lesson’s on Life, Love & Courage. AND – Elon Musk… sooo fascinating. Will we colonise Mars soon?? Happy reading everyone xx

Jodie

Diary of a Combatant: The Diary of the Revolution that Made Che Guevara a Legend

After travelling to Cuba in November I became fascinated by the revolution and why it happened and how it made Cuba the beautiful country I visited.

All the light I cannot see – Anthony Doer
A Pulitzer Prize winning novel that my book club at work is reading and sounds good. Sorry can’t think of what the story is.

Getting real about having it all – Megan Dalla-Camino
An amazing book about the myth women have thrown st them about “having it all” meaning having a life, career and family being their goal and really just a positive girl power book to help anyone realign their priorities and look at life differently

Melanie

I have almost finished on ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’ by Viktor E. Frankl. About the authors experience in Nazi concentration camps, he is a psychiatrist and a wise man! More than 12 million copies in print. Worth a read:)

Belinda Smith

Elon Musk by Ashlee Bance – because I am fascinated by his intelligence. Completely fascinated.
Imagine by Jeffrey Slayter – as I am hungry for transformation and spiritual growth
Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk – he is an awesome online marketer and he amuses me
The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein – because I believe that to be true
Thrive Through Property by Todd Polke – still learning after 30 years of investing and Todd’s my coach so I thought I should read his book!

Catherine

If you would like a good read about India, try A Fine Balance by Robinson Mistry. It is heartbreaking in places but hard to put down. X

Leah waldie

Thankyou for the booklist and I love the idea of sharing this. I have 2 books that I have read and re-read and marked up and keep in my travel bag now because they are so simple yet act as gentle reminders to me everyday:
1. You are here- discovering the magic of the present moment by THich Nhat Hanh
2. The seeds of love- growing mindful relationships by Jerry Braza

I have also recently purchased a new book- The book of joy- lasting happiness in a changing world a collaboration between His holiness Tenzin Gyatso the 14th Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

Lauren

There’s a new book that I think blows the Five love languages out of the water. How Two Love: Making your relationship work and last. And awesome thing is that it’s even by a local author; Psychotherapist Dr Jan Resnick.

Dixie

After spending the last few years reading and researching non-fiction I have returned to reading some fiction thrillers over the summer months. Also due to spending time recuperating from shoulder surgery. So far I have read:
The Girl on the Train – Paula Hawkins
The Couple Nextdoor – Shari Lapena
Disclaimer – Renee Knight
Sharp Objects – Gillian Flynn
The above are all thrillers.

Funnily new books waiting to read are:
Shanatarami – Gregory Roberts
Jasper Jones – Craig Silvey

Some of the books that others have posted look appealing so I will most certainly be checking them out.

Happy Reading Everyone

Sam Yann

Jasper Jones is a fabulous read- enjoy that. I find summer hols are about good stories well told I love to get lost in the fiction.
All the birds, Singing by Evie Wyld was great.
As was Eucalyptus (can’t remember author Murray Fail maybe?)
I’m reading Fearless by Fiona Higgins

Jes

I was absolutely unable to put down the Elena Ferrante ‘Neopolitan’ series – the most thought provoking fiction I think I’ve ever read. Characters so flawed and hauntingly real. Was left feeling distraught once I finished the fourth book!

I also just finished reading ‘Eat, Pray, Love’. An oldie, but seemed fitting for a fresh start to 2017. I’ve seen the movie and thought it was incredibly forgettable so wasn’t that excited about the book, but loved, loved, loved it. Was the perfect piece of reading for the new year. So full of passion, raw emotion. Now I’m ready and inspired to hit at 2017 with purpose!

I’m also halfway through reading ‘The Four Hour Work Week’ by Tim Ferris to further set the scene for 2017, and have ‘The Goldfinch’ teed up to be my next fiction endeavour.

I just can’t get enough of reading during the summer!

Jennah-Louise

WALK THROUGH WALLS- Marina Abramović.
“I had experienced absolute freedom—I had felt that my body was without boundaries, limitless; that pain didn’t matter, that nothing mattered at all—and it intoxicated me.”

I recently had a dream with both Marina and Lisa Messenger in it; both heroines to me. I felt touched that though neither of them are part of my physical reality, they are part of my subconscious spirituality. How beautiful.

We would love to hear your thoughts: