Michelle Davis and Matt Holloway, the potty-mouthed pair behind the Thug Kitchen blog and bestselling cookbook, are bringing healthy eating to the masses. “We started a blog for people like us, you know?” say Michelle and Matt. “People who love food, want to cook, want to be health conscious, but have to do it on a budget.” Their message? Simple… “eat like you give a f*ck”.
We get cooking with the world’s favourite foul-mouthed vegans, with their Beer and Lime Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Coleslaw on the menu.
Photo: Thug Kitchen
ROASTED BEER AND LIME CAULIFLOWER TACOS WITH CILANTRO COLESLAW
Grab a beer and get to work. Just don’t get sloppy ‘til you’re done cooking.
MAKES ABOUT 6 TACOS
1 head cauliflower (about 1 pound)
3/4 cup beer*
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
1 1/2 tablespoons of your go-to chipotle hot sauce
1 to 2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
6 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
1. Crank your oven to 400F. Grab a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Chop the cauliflower into small florets no bigger than a quarter. In a saucepan, warm the beer, broth, lime juice, tamari, hot sauce, and garlic over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and simmer for about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain.
3. Toss the spices, salt, and olive oil together in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower and onion and stir ’til those fuckers are coated. Dump it on the baking sheet and bake until browned, stirring halfway, about 20 minutes.
4. To make the tacos, warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave for a hot minute and then pile them high with the cauliflower filling, slices of avocado, some of the cilantro slaw (recipe below), and your go-to salsa.
* Whatever you are cool with drinking the rest of is fine here. Just no coffee stout or anything heavy like that.
QUICK LIME AND CILANTRO COLESLAW
This f*cker is great in any taco, any time. Memorize this sh*t because you won’t be going back to empty tacos again.
1/2 head of green cabbage (about 1/2 pound)
1 small carrot
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Cut the cabbage into the thinnest strips you can and make sure those pieces are no longer than 2 inches. This is a great time to get good with your knife if you are looking for a silver f*cking lining in all that chopping. Chop the carrot into thin matchsticks of the same length. Got that sh*t down now, right? In a small glass, mix together the lime juice, vinegar, oil, and salt. Add the dressing right before you are going to eat and toss that sh*t well. Add the cilantro and serve.